The Boonslick Kiwanis Club of Columbia, Missouri was officially organized on May 23, 1966. Harold “Hank” Steere was installed as the first president. Other officers were George Adams, vice president; James Cunningham, secretary; and Dale Griessel, treasurer. Charter member George Parker remained an active member of the club until his passing in 2009. The sponsoring work for the establishment of Boonslick was done by the Columbia Kiwanis Club. The club is a part of Division 5 of the Missouri-Arkansas District of Kiwanis International. Please click here to see the history of the "Boonslick" name.
The charter was presented at a banquet held at the Flaming Pit restaurant in Columbia on July 21, 1966. In Kiwanis tradition, the program opened with the singing of “America”, followed by the pledge to the flag, and an invocation. Remarks were provided by visiting Kiwanians including Missouri-Arkansas Governor Dale Bracey, Caruthersville, and Division 5 Lt. Governor Archie Ellis, Centralia. The guest speaker was Columbia Mayor John Longwell.
Boonslick is one of five Kiwanis clubs in Columbia. The Columbia clubs are:
The presidents of the five clubs meet regularly to coordinate activities and facilitate joint fund raising activities such as Pancake Day and Kiwanis One Day. The tradition of Pancake Day started in 1952 and has been conducted in several locations. Currently it is held at Columbia College’s dining hall.